Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Set knowledge free

I really enjoyed reading David Weinberger's "Everything is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder." I thought it was very insightful and timely considering the state of the Web today. This book honestly may have changed my mind about Wikipedia. It was easy to dismiss Wikipedia as a very, very unreliable source of information, but now that I've heard Weinberger's take on it, I think I'm sold on the idea.

The fact that Wikipedia encourages its authors to 'talk' and negotiate the finer points of an entry until it achieves a "neutral point of view" is really groundbreaking, in my view. I may start to look up certain controversial subjects to see how they are handled on the site and if this is really the case.

Other various web sites that Weinberger mentions in the article are worth checking out, particularly flickr.com and delicious.com...both sites proving that the more people contribute to the Web, the more rich, useful and truly groundbreaking it becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment