Friday, May 28, 2010

Apple Surpassing Microsoft

I noticed an article in Friday's online version of The New York Times titled "Apple Passes Microsoft as No. 1 in Tech". You can read it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/technology/27apple.html?ex=1290571200&en=1cfaf8110c2b36e8&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=TE-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M151-ROS-0510-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click

Very interesting article. There is an interesting quote at the end which says that Apple really understood that it had to combine hardware and software together to make it as easy as possible for consumers to use. Their products are therefore "shrink wrapped and ready to go" -- a huge selling point for users.

I tend to agree with this...I have a nano iPod which I love. I think what is truly innovative to Apple beyond their software and systems capabilities is the attention to design. The iconic Apple streamlined, modern design that unites the entire product line is a genius marketing advantage.

The article also points out the shift in market competition for Apple -- no longer Microsoft but now Google.

Thought this article was good to reference in light of what we have been discussing in LIS 2600.

No comments:

Post a Comment