Friday, May 21, 2010

Catching up with the world

I am glad that LIS2600 is one of the first classes to take in the MLIS program. I feel I need to really update not only my computing skills but be familiar with all the really useful "open source" sites out there.

It is really astounding how much has changed online since 2003. 2003 is when I officially dropped out of the full-time working world for a bit to raise my two children. At the time, I had been a Managing Editor for a packaging trade publication and was also involved in running the many conferences we hosted. Back then, everyone's PowerPoint presentations were either emailed to us or brought to the conference on a CD. Flash forward to 2009 and you can use the web app "Go To Meeting" to host a conference (or at least an extensive conference call) online. No need to leave your desk. Web apps like these have undoubtedly made the business world much more efficient, streamlined and productive.

As the Web 2.0 concept spreads and becomes even more mainstream, you can foresee its impact in so many disciplines...business, publishing, medicine, science, education, etc. It's such a huge shift in thinking that anyone can now contribute to the the development of the Web. I can only wonder what my kids' classroom will look like 10 to 15 years from now when they are both in high school. Will there still be textbooks? Will they meet everyday in a traditional classroom setting? What I know for certain at the moment is that my 3 year old can use a laptop fairly intuitively!

No comments:

Post a Comment